I keep meeting a lot of people in Bangalore and most of them don’t believe when I say them I am a blind person. First they get shocked and later they ask me all sorts of questions which even cheer me up as some one is trying to understand our lives from a closer point. This is the first step of awareness and I try to tell them as much as I can about how I manage my life and how I make use of my partial vision to the fullest and I tell them about my other buddies who are differently able and live a challenging life.
Some appreciate my way of living and some ask what is the necessary for living alone and facing so many challenges, some advice me to go back and find a job in Hyderabad so that my life will be more easy when I stay with my parents. Some don’t understand there are many reasons for me to choose this life style and thought to put couple of them here,
1. Independence- When I earn , I feel that I have the right to spend that money on what ever I chooseand this gives me a good feeling that I am not dependent on any one for my personal needs and comforts.
2. i have a special kind of freedom here in Bangalore which I will not have if live with my parents. I some times come back to my house during mid night orr some times I spend my weekends with friends or in some other places, till date I never even thought of doing these when I was with my parents in Hyderabad because in the first instance coming back home during mid night is not acceptable and that too along with couple of friends no way.
3. when I first started to live alone here in Bangalore it taught a lot of things about the reality of life. There is no one to hold your hand and teach I have to learn, implement if failed try another method of getting things done.
4. I learn how to cook, cleaning the house, washing clothes, traveling long distances, booking tickets , paying bills etc which I might not have even dreamt of doing if I am in Hyderabad. Because I got people to do it for me and my parents take care of all my needs.
5. i live a very unorganized life and because of my disability I face more challenges due to this. I need to run around my house to find my belongings like house keys, watch, spectacles, wallet etc. I like that feeling of trying to find where I kept all those things and keeping some extra burden on my brain to remember. Most of the time I succeed and I fail to fetch one or the other item. But eventually I will find them.
These are just couple of reasons and I really appreciate what I am trying to do for my self and how many helping hands I get while I trying to lay a path for my self I like inthis world where I live and I am thankful to GOD for giving me strength to do all that what I wanted to do.